Student Gives Patient New Smile, Helps Her Overcome Fear

image1-3 RSDM student Stephanie Pagin-Schmidt

Deborah Bishop knew it was time for new dentures but traumatic memories of a bad childhood dental visit kept her from making an appointment. By then, she was so unhappy with the way she looked, Bishop was practically a shut-in. “I was so depressed by my smile. I wouldn’t go anywhere or talk to old friends due to embarrassment,’’ she said.

That changed when she met Student Doctor Stephanie Pagin-Schmidt at RSDM’s Community-Oriented Dental Education  (CODE) center in Pomona, South Jersey, where fourth-year students are required to spend two weeks treating underserved patients as part of CODE II.

Not only did Pagin-Schmidt make Bishop a new set of dentures, she helped her overcome her terror of the dentist’s chair. “She made sure that I felt comfortable in all of the steps ,’’ Bishop wrote to Pagin-Schmidt’s supervisor.

When Pagin-Schmidt’s CODE II rotation was through, Bishop’s denture-fitting wasn’t complete, but rather than transfer her to another student doctor, Pagin-Schmidt made three two-hour trips from Newark to South Jersey until Bishop’s dentures were done. “Dr. Stephanie is one of the most professional, astute, knowledgeable, kind and caring people that I have met in a long time,’’ wrote Bishop, who is proud to show off her new smile.

Helping patients like Bishop is what Pagin-Schmidt loves most about dentistry. “ I try to treat all of my patients as individuals,’’ says Schmidt, who grew up in Elizabeth, NJ. “I’ve always liked gaining an understanding of a patient’s psychology and forming relationships with them.’’

It’s a skill she cultivated after joining the army in 2011, when she learned to work closely with a range of people from different backgrounds, all strangers to each other before they enlisted. After graduating this year, Pagin-Schmidt, a second lieutenant, plans to become a dentist in the army.

Bishop has no doubts about her future. In her letter, she wrote, “You have an upstanding member of the dental community who will excel in her career.’’

Deborah Bishop with her new dentures. Deborah Bishop with her new dentures.