Scholarship Winner's Road to Dental School

Gilbert Tapia

As a child, Gilbert Tapia beamed with pride when the family dentist told him he had good teeth.

But his mom’s check-ups didn’t go as well. “The doc would say, ‘oh, you need more work done,’’ Tapia remembers. “I felt so bad, I’d say, ‘one day I’m going to fix your teeth.’’’

He hasn’t fixed her teeth yet, but Tapia, a third-year student, is confident that when he graduates from RSDM, he’ll be able meet all of his patients’ dental needs, including his mom’s.

Tapia grew up in Dover, NJ, the son of Mexican immigrants. He had a penchant for drawing comic book characters, in addition to his interest in dentistry. Many students in town didn’t attend college after graduation. “Most people didn’t expect me to go,’’ he says. But Tapia enrolled at Fairleigh Dickinson, earning a degree in biology.

After that, he took the year off from school to work in a factory that made elliptical machines. His job was to assemble the machines when they were almost done and test them. He liked the job, but never intended to make it his career. So he enrolled at RBHS to get his a masters in oral biology. Later, he revisited his childhood dream to become a dentist and started at RSDM.

Since arriving, he's won two scholarships:  the Abdol Islami Foundation scholarship and an ADA  pre doctoral dental student scholarship. Both were awarded last year.

Tapia says three things have helped him cope with the demands of dental school: Playing soccer, coffee, and supportive friends and family. Treating patients was intimidating at first when he started clinical work this year, but he’s learned to relax. “I started believing in myself. If I make a mistake and I don’t hurt anyone, it’s ok. That’s what I’m here for – to learn.’’

Now he’s able to enjoy his encounters with patients. Tapia remembers one woman who was so thrilled with her new set of dentures, she planned a special celebration. “She said she was going to have a smile party so her family would see her smile.’’