RSDM Grad: Never Too Late to Follow Dreams

Husham Edani

At 65, Husham Edani is the oldest graduate in the history of RSDM.

“To be a student at this age, it wasn’t easy,’’ admits Edani, who was vice-chair of oral and maxillofacial surgery at Baghdad University before fleeing the country in 2003.

But he was driven by his dedication and love of the profession to start over, and his persistence paid off. "I have energy because I work very hard and I like this field. I don't want to be away. I like to work with patients,’’ he says.

After moving to New Jersey with his family more than a decade ago, Edani was faculty at Drake College of Business, teaching courses for aspiring medical and dental assistants.

But he longed to get a DMD degree in the U.S. and applied to RSDM’s International Dentistry program.

The challenges? Students who initially thought he was an instructor  and having to explain to patients that he was, in fact, a student. “With them, it was a big question mark. Usually I explain that I was out of the country so I have to pass a residency here. Sometimes they are very happy because they know that I have experience,’’ Edani says.

Now that he has his DMD and a certificate in periodontics Edani  hopes to teach.

He is grateful to Dr. Andrew Sullivan, Chair of the Department of Periodontics, for advocating for his acceptance at RSDM and for his guidance and encouragement. “He gave me a lot of moral support and  Dr. Sullivan was always so nice to me. He helped me so much, I'll never forget him.''