Student Spotlight: Kristina Accardo Gets Ready

Kristina Accardo knows that some patients feel nervous about receiving treatment from dental students. When she begins providing care in the clinic next year, she’s thought about how to put them at ease.

“I would tell them, I’ve spent the past two years of my life trying to perfect my work. We’ve been through rigorous courses and if our faculty didn’t have faith in us to be here, we wouldn’t be here,’’ says Accardo, a second-year student. “I would also tell them that the faculty is closely supervising everything we do. We definitely want to make sure they get the best care. We’re here because we want to help people.’’

Accardo, who grew up in Point Pleasant, has always been interested in a medical career and chose dentistry because she enjoys working with her hands. “The medical world is more about observation. With dentistry, you’re given a task and you have these tools, you’re doing physical work, and that’s what I’m attracted to,’’explains Accardo, who graduated from Wagner College. “It’s different from a lot of other professions.’’

One reason she chose RSDM is because it clinical program has such a strong reputation. “When I was researching Rutgers, people were emphasizing that we have more assignments to do. I knew I would feel more prepared if I did 20 crowns and ten dentures instead of only 5. Also, people at Rutgers seemed happy and pleased and confident in their work and I don’t want to go through four years of schools to not feel confident in what I’m doing.’’