Student Spotlight: A Drive to Improve Community Health in the U.S.

Ayodeji Awopegba

Ayodeji Awopegba combines his passion for public health with a love of dentistry.

Enrolled in RSDM’s Internationally Educated DMD program, where he is pursuing a degree to practice in the U.S., Awopegba grew up in Nigeria, where his father owned a hospital.

Trained as a dentist in his homeland, he spent time in Nigeria managing dental outreach programs and treating rural patients who had little or no access to oral healthcare before he arrived in the U.S. in 2012.

Awopegba obtained a degree in Public Health from Johns Hopkins University, where he focused on applied epidemiology, oral health and smoking cessation, in addition to supporting the activities of the Maryland Cancer Collaborative. “I began to see the importance of, not just treating individuals, but treating entire communities,’’ he said.

Although the work was fulfilling, he missed practicing dentistry and enrolled in RSDM to get his degree in the U.S. so he can practice here, alongside his wife, who is also a dentist.

“Dentistry combines a lot of my skills. I was always very artistic and drew a lot as a kid. It combined my love of the arts and my love for the sciences and medicine,’’ he explained. “Dentistry allows me use these skills to impact people’s lives.”

Awopegba chose RSDM because he believes its DMD program is the best in the nation. “It stands out from the pack in terms of the rigor of its clinical experience, its opportunities for research, its community focus and teaching students the dentistry of the future,’’ he said.

After earning his degree, Awopegba hopes to become an oral surgeon and further explore clinical research, including the chance to mentor and collaborate across professions. “I’d like to build a platform for fellow dentists to engage with other professionals, and continue to collaborate with people in the political establishment and public health to work on issues facing people in the U.S.”